How to Get a Work Permit in Indiana

Getting a work permit in Indiana is much easier than most teens think, but the entire process can be pretty confusing if you've never done it before. Because of this, we've created this page which outlines everything you need to know about getting a work permit in Indiana.  If you're under the age of 16, a work permit is required to work part-time at any company, so follow what we've outlined here and you can get a job in no time.

Minimum Working Age in Indiana

In Indiana, the Indianapolis 500 takes places every year on Memorial Day weekend, with average speeds of 167 miles per hour and a prize of 1.2 million dollars. While their job search may not move quite so quickly or be quite as profitable, teenagers in Indiana are able to seek employment at the age of 14. In Indiana, all minors require employment certificates (or work permits) in order to work until they reach the age of 18.

The process to obtain an employment certificate or work permit in Indiana is straightforward with clear instructions.  Teenagers who are hoping to earn money and gain experience can obtain the required employment certificate through a simple process. Once the minor has obtained their employment certificate, it should be filed by the employer and accessible upon inspection. Click here for more information on teen labor laws in Indiana.

Applying For a Work Permit in Indiana

In Indiana, minors aged 14 through 17 must all obtain an employment certificate prior to beginning employment. Fortunately, acquiring an employment certificate in Indiana is simple. All minors seeking employment should take the following steps to obtain their employment certificate:

  1. The first step to obtaining an employment certificate is to get hired by an employer; once a minor has found an employer who is interested in hiring them, the employer must complete an “Intent to Employ” form. This form will include the hours per day, days per week, and hours per week, as well as the exact job duties the minor will perform. The form must be signed by the employer, the minor, and their parent or guardian.
  2. The minor will then take their completed “Intent to Employ” form as well as proof of age documentation to an issuing officer. In Indiana, each accredited school is required to assign an issuing officer (appointed in writing by the principal) who issues (and denies and revokes when appropriate) employment certificates for the minors that attend the school.
  3. The issuing officer will review the completed “Intent to Employ” form, as well as the proof of age documentation. Acceptable proof of age includes a birth certificate, baptismal certificate, a certificate of arrival issued by United States Immigration officers that shows the minor’s age, a valid Indiana Driver’s License that has been in existence for more than one year, or a sworn statement from a physician or superintendent that states that in their opinion, the minor’s age. This statement must include the height and weight of the minor along with other facts of which their opinion is based. In conjunction with this statement must be a statement of the age of the minor that is signed by their parent, as well as school records.
  4. Indiana has an online work permit system, for which the issuing officer will have a login. The issuing officer will complete the application upon meeting with the minor and reviewing their documentation.
  5. At the request of the issuing officer, the minor’s parent or guardian may be required to appear before them prior to the work permit being issued.
  6. Once the issuing officer issues the employment certificate, they must return the appropriate portion to the Indiana Department of Labor within five days.
  7. The issuing officer will either give the employer’s copy to the minor who has requested the permit or will forward it directly to the employer.

Transferring Work Permits in Indiana

The employment certificate is employer-specific and cannot be transferred from one employer to another. Should a minor decide to move to another employer, they will have to obtain a new employment certificate.

Employer Responsibility With Work Permits in Indiana

In order for a minor to be issued an employment certificate, they must first find an employer who is willing to hire them and who will complete the “Intent to Employ” form. Until the employer has been provided with a copy of the minor’s employment certificate, they cannot have the minor start to work. Once the employer has the employment certificate from the minor, they have the following responsibilities:

  1. The employer must have an employment certificate on file at the location where the minor will work.
  2. The employer must post the “Notice of Teen Work Hour Restrictions” in a noticeable place or where notices to employees are regularly posted.
  3. Should employment of the minor be terminated before they reach age 18, the employer must notify the issuing officer in writing. Attached to the work permit form provided by the Bureau of Child Labor is a “termination notice” which must be completed by the employer and sent to the officer who issued the permit. It can be sent by fax, mail or brought by in person.
  4. Should the employer request a 16 or 17 year old work extended hours, they must have a completed “Parental Permission Form” on file. Written permission must be given by the parent prior to the minor working extended hours.

When seeking to employ minors in Indiana, the employer’s responsibility is straightforward. While all minors seeking employment must obtain an employment certificate or work permit, the process to do so is not arduous. Minors and employers in Indiana should find the process simple and easy to follow.