How to Get a Work Permit in Connecticut

Getting a work permit in Connecticut is much easier than most teens think, but the entire process can be pretty confusing if you've never done it before. Because of this, we've created this page which outlines everything you need to know about getting a work permit in Connecticut.  If you're under the age of 16, a work permit is required to work part-time at any company, so follow what we've outlined here and you can get a job in no time.

Minimum Working Age in Connecticut

When people think of employment for youth, newspaper delivery often comes to mind. And in Connecticut, where 144 newspapers are published statewide, this is certainly an option for young people seeking to earn money. Fortunately this is not the only option for teens in the state. The minimum working age in Connecticut may appear a bit confusing; technically, the minimum age is 16, however there are a few different jobs that can be done at 14 and 15. For example, a 14 year old may be employed as a caddie at a pro shop, private or municipal golf course and a 15 year old can be employed in a “mercantile” establishment as a bagger, cashier or stock clerk. Minors must apply for a Statement of Age/Certificate of Age (also known as Working Papers) prior to working. Click here for more information on teen labor laws in Connecticut.

Applying For a Work Permit in Connecticut

All minors (under the age of 18) seeking employment must have their Statement of Age or Working Papers prior to beginning employment. According to Connecticut’s “Working Papers Manual”, the Statement of Age “is to ensure that individuals under the age of 18 have proper documentation of their age” as well as make sure that the job they will work is acceptable under the law.  While you cannot get a usable copy of the Statement of Age form online, you may view a copy of it in the “Working Papers Manual” and a link is provided below. The process for a minor to acquire a Statement of Age in Connecticut is straightforward. Minor students who are interested in working should take the following steps:

  1. A copy of the Statement of Age form in the “Working Papers Manual” can be viewed by clicking here.
  2. First, a minor must obtain a Promise of Employment in writing from a future employer. This must specifically note the job that the individual will be doing. A vague job description like “general worker” will not be sufficient. The Promise of Employment should be on the employer’s letterhead. The Promise of Employment must be for a job and industry that is permitted for the age of the minor according to Connecticut’s laws and regulations, and the times and hours that will be worked must also conform to the laws and regulations of Connecticut.
  3. Once the Promise of Employment has been obtained in writing, the minor should then visit either the superintendent of schools of any local or regional school district or an agent designated by the superintendent so they may complete a Statement of Age form. Often this can be done at the local high school. The minor should bring the following: The Promise of Employment, proof of age (birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, baptismal certificate) and social security card.
  4. Once the minor is issued the Statement of Age document, they will receive a copy for themselves and a copy for the employer, which they must bring to the employer before starting work. The issuing officer will retain a copy for their files.

Transferring Work Permits in Connecticut

The Statement of Age form or Working Papers is not transferrable. The form is specific for the employer and particular job. Should the minor choose to seek new employment, they must obtain a Promise of Employment and complete a new Statement of Age form.

Employer Responsibility With Work Permits in Connecticut

As noted above, prior to a minor being able to begin employment, their future employer must provide them with a Promise of Employment in writing on their letterhead. Once the minor has receive their Statement of Age or Working Papers, the employer will receive a copy and the minor can begin work. The employer should do the following:

  1. Ensure they follow the appropriate time and hour restrictions for the minor’s age.
  2. Provide the minor with at least a 30 minute meal period if working seven and one-half hours or more.
  3. Maintain payroll records for three years and personnel files through one year following the employee leaving their employment.
  4. Pay the minor at least the equivalent of the state and federal minimum wage.
  5. Provide employees with a “hiring agreement” that notes the following information: hours of employment, pay rate, payment schedule, and benefit information (vacation, sick, healthcare, etc.).

The responsibility of employers when hiring minors in Connecticut is not complex and should not hinder minors from obtaining appropriate employment. Perhaps the most complicated thing is keeping track of the fact that the state has several names for the same document. Once that is understood, obtaining the proper documentation is simple.