How to Get a Work Permit in Nebraska

Getting a work permit in Nebraska is much easier than most teens think, but the entire process can be pretty confusing if you've never done it before. Because of this, we've created this page which outlines everything you need to know about getting a work permit in Nebraska.  If you're under the age of 16, a work permit is required to work part-time at any company, so follow what we've outlined here and you can get a job in no time.

Minimum Working Age in Nebraska

The popular kids drink Kool-Aid was invented in Nebraska In 1927. Around the time teenagers may be hoping for soda over Kool-Aid, they may also be interested in getting a job. Minors as young as 14 are able to work in the state of Nebraska.  A work permit, known as an employment certificate in Nebraska, is required for minors aged 14 and 15 in order for them to begin working.  Fortunately, the process that a minor must follow to obtain an employment certificate is simple.  Click here for more information on teen labor laws in Nebraska.

Applying For a Work Permit in Nebraska

The process to obtain a work permit or employment certificate in Nebraska is straightforward. A work permit or employment certificate is required for youth aged 14 and 15, and fortunately, the path to obtaining one is not hard to follow. While the employment certificate can be accessed online, it is noted that it is for the “sole use of City School Superintendents in designated public high school districts and their designees”. The form may be accessed here, however it is not for use and only for reference.  Minors under the age of 16 who are seeking to work in Nebraska should take the following steps to obtain a work permit/employment certificate:

  1. The minor must first find an employer willing to hire them.
  2. Once they have found an employer who is willing to hire them, the minor must obtain a work permit, or an employment certificate as it is called in Nebraska. To do this, they must go to someone authorized to issue an employment certificate; this is usually the superintendent of the high school district where the minor lives, or a person who has been authorized by the superintendent (should there be no superintendent, a certificate can be sought by a person who has been authorized by the school district officers).
  3. The minor will need to know the following information from the future employer: name of employer, address, phone number, nature of business, work to be done, the number of days and hours per week the minor will work, the number of hours per day the minor will work, and the start and end time of their shift once they begin to work.
  4. The minor should bring with them their school record that shows that they have completed the work required through sixth grade, or is attending night school. The minor should also bring with them proof of age; for example a passport, birth certificate or baptismal certificate. Should those not be available, a parent or guardian may complete an affidavit regarding the age of the child before the issuing officer.
  5. The issuing officer will examine the minor and confirm that they are able to read and write legibly basic sentences in English and that they have reached the typical development of a child their age. They will also confirm that the child is healthy and appears to be physically able to undertake the work that they intend to do. Should there be any doubt regarding health, a physician provided by the Department of Labor will conduct an exam.
  6. Once the issuer has collected and approved the required information, they will sign the certificate. The issuing officer will then give a copy to the employer, keep a copy for their files, and submit a copy to the Nebraska Department of Labor.
  7. The minor will bring their copy of the employment certificate to their employer for their files.

Transferring Work Permits in Nebraska

The employment certificate is specific to the employer and the job duties that the employer is hiring the minor to perform. Should the minor want to seek a different employment opportunity, they will need to obtain a new employment certificate.

Employer Responsibility With Work Permits in Nebraska

While minors aged 14 and 15 are able to obtain employment, they must have a work permit, known in Nebraska as an employment certificate in order to begin working. Once the employer has agreed to hire the minor, they will need to do the following regarding the employment certificate:

  1. The employer will provide the minor with information regarding their employment, to include the work the minor will perform, the number of days and hours per week the minor will work, the number of hours per day the minor will work, and the start and end time of their shift once they begin to work.
  2. The employer cannot allow the minor to work until they have received the work permit/employment certificate signed by the issuing officer.
  3. Once the employer receives the completed employment certificate, they must keep it on file.
  4. Should employment terminate for any reason, the employer must return the certificate to the school that issued it.
  5. All child labor laws must be followed.

Those employers in Nebraska who are open to hiring minors aged 14 and 15 should not find it hard to do so.  The process that the employer needs to follow is not difficult and does not required a significant amount of effort on their part.  Should an employer hire a minor aged 14 or 15, they must have an employment certificate on file prior to allowing the minor to begin work and are required to follow child labor laws.