How to Get a Work Permit in New Hampshire

Getting a work permit in New Hampshire is much easier than most teens think, but the entire process can be pretty confusing if you've never done it before. Because of this, we've created this page which outlines everything you need to know about getting a work permit in New Hampshire.  If you're under the age of 16, a work permit is required to work part-time at any company, so follow what we've outlined here and you can get a job in no time.

Minimum Working Age in New Hampshire

New Hampshire is home to the first free public library in the United States, which was created in Peterborough in 1833. Some teens choose to volunteer at libraries or other places to gain real-world experience. Should they choose to explore paid employment, in New Hampshire, the minimum age for minors to be employed is 14.  

An employment certificate is not required for minors aged 16 and 17, however an employer must keep on file a signed, written document from the minor’s parent or guardian stating that they are permitting the youth to be employed. While an Employment Certificate is required for youth aged 14 and 15, the process to obtain one is straightforward. Employers are required to follow teen labor laws; click here for more information on teen labor laws in New Hampshire.

Applying For a Work Permit in New Hampshire

While minors aged 16 and 17 only need to provide a written note from their parent or guardian granting them permission to be employed, in New Hampshire, work permits are required for minors aged 14 and 15. Work permits in New Hampshire are called “A New Hampshire Youth Employment Certificate” and this must be obtained within three days of the minor’s start date. The process to obtain this certificate is straightforward. To obtain the Youth Employment Certificate, the minor should follow the process below:

  1. The minor should first seek a job. Once they find an employer who is willing to hire them, they should get the form titled “Employer’s Request for Child Labor” from the Office of the School Superintendent, the Guidance Department, the Principal’s office, the New Hampshire Department of Labor, or their future employer. A copy of the form can be found here.
  2. Once the minor has this form, they should bring it to their potential employer.
  3. The employer will complete a description of the work they are hiring the minor for, as well as sign the document.
  4. The minor will bring the completed form back to the Superintendent, Guidance Department or Principal, along with proof of age. Proof of age can be a birth certificate, a passport, a baptismal certificate, an immigration record, or a religious or official record that includes the minor’s age.
  5. The Superintendent, Guidance Department or Principal will make a decision to approve the proposed employment based the student’s school record, the completed form, and the legality of the proposed employment.
  6. Should the employment be approved, the Youth Employment Certificate will be issued to the student, who will then obtain their parent or guardian’s signature and provide the certificate to the employer.

Transferring Work Permits in New Hampshire

The Youth Employment Certificate is for a particular position with a specific employer. Should a minor aged 14 or 15 decide to obtain a new position, they would need to obtain a new Youth Employment Certificate.

Employer Responsibility With Work Permits in New Hampshire

Employers in New Hampshire who hire minors aged 14 and 15 must obtain a Youth Employment Certificate from the minor within three days of the minor’s start date. The role of the employer in regards to Youth Employment Certificates is not complicated. Employers have the following responsibilities in regards to the Youth Employment Certificate:

  1. They must first complete the “Employer’s Request for Child Labor Form”.
  2. They must obtain a copy of the Youth Employment Certificate from the minor and keep it on file.
  3. The minor must be provided with scheduled hours of work.
  4. At the beginning of the work week the employer must post the minor’s daily work schedule to include start and stop time, daily meal time and maximum hours the employee can work in one day. This must be posted in a noticeable place.
  5. The employer must keep a list by name of the minor employees that notes what shift each is employed for on file and available for inspection.
  6. The employer must follow child labor laws.

Employers in New Hampshire who hire 16 and 17 year olds do not need to obtain a Youth Employment Certificate, however they do need to receive a signed, written document from the minor’s parent or guardian stating that they are permitting the youth to be employed.