How to Get a Work Permit in Oklahoma

Getting a work permit in Oklahoma is much easier than most teens think, but the entire process can be pretty confusing if you've never done it before. Because of this, we've created this page which outlines everything you need to know about getting a work permit in Oklahoma.  If you're under the age of 16, a work permit is required to work part-time at any company, so follow what we've outlined here and you can get a job in no time.

Minimum Working Age in Oklahoma

A man by the name of Sylvan Goldman, from Oklahoma, invented the first shopping cart. Grocery stores are often a good possibility for employment for minors who are looking for their first jobs. In Oklahoma minors that are interested in obtaining employment are able to do so at the age of 14. For all minors aged 14 and 15, a work permit is required prior to their starting employment.  Click here for more information on teen labor laws in Oklahoma.

Applying For a Work Permit in Oklahoma

While minors can begin working in Oklahoma at the age of 14, all minors must have a work permit (also called an Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling) prior to starting work. The process to obtain the work permit is straightforward.  Minors who are seeking to work in Oklahoma should take the following steps to obtain the work permit:

  1. A minor who is interested in employment should meet with their school principal or the school principal’s authorized issuing officer.
  2. The principal or other authorized officer will download Form 600, which is the Application to Secure Certificate of Age and Schooling for Employment, from the website for the Oklahoma State Department of Education. To download the form, the principal or other authorized individual will proceed to the “School District Reporting Site” which will ask them for a Username and Password. The necessary document can be found on the “Systems Menu” screen.
  3. Once the form is printed, the principal or authorized individual will give Form 600 to the student.
  4. The student will complete the student section, have the potential employer complete the employer section and have their parent or guardian complete their section. Once the sections are completed, the student will bring Form 600 back to the principal or authorized individual. The minor must bring their parent or guardian as well as proof of age (to include a birth certificate, passport or baptismal certificate).
  5. The principal or authorized individual will complete Form 601, which is the Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling, through the “School District Reporting Site” and then print and sign the document. The minor must also sign the document. The student will be given one copy of the form to take to their employer.
  6. The student will bring their copy of the Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling to the employer.
  7. The principal or authorized individual must send one copy of the Form 601 to the Oklahoma Department of Labor, and keep on copy with form 600 in the school district records. The documents must be on file for five years.

Transferring Work Permits in Oklahoma

The work permit or Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling is employer and job specific. Should a minor under the age of 16 seek a new employment opportunity, they must obtain a new work permit.

Employer Responsibility With Work Permits in Oklahoma

While minors as young as age 14 are able to work in the state of Oklahoma, youth under the age of 16 must obtain a work permit, also known in Oklahoma as an Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling, prior to doing so. The employer should not allow a minor to begin employment without their providing this document. In regards to work permits, employers in Oklahoma have the following responsibilities:

  1. The employer must complete the employer section of Form 600.
  2. Once the minor has obtained their Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling, they are to bring it to the employer. The employer must keep the document on file, and be open to inspection by the Commissioner of his designee, truant officers or other persons involved in administering the certificate.
  3. The employer must keep a register with a full list of youth under the age of 16. The list should include the name of the child and their age, the number of hours permitted, the hours the minor starts and stops work and the time allowed for meals.
  4. Upon termination of employment, the employer should return the Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling to the minor or their parent or guardian.
  5. The employer must follow child labor laws.

Employers in Oklahoma who are looking to hire teenagers under the age of 18 will not find it difficult to do so. The process that the employer needs to follow is straightforward and the employer’s role is minimal in the minor procuring the work permit. The employer is required to follow child labor laws and must have an Employment Certificate of Age and Schooling on file prior to allowing the minor to begin work.