How to Become a Teen Lifeguard
What Does a Teenage Lifeguard do?
A lifeguard will ensure the safety of swimmers in the facility they are working in by preventing and responding effectively emergencies. Basically, you will be preventing people from injury around the pool you are working at. By doing this, you will be maintaining surveillance on swimmers and people around the pool, and providing emergency care and treatment until professional help arrives. The benefits of this job are that you have very flexible hours, as you can choose which hours you work, and you are paid very well. Another good point about becoming a lifeguard is that it is a very good experience building activity. You’ll need to know how to swim and basic medical knowledge to become a lifeguard though.
How Much Does a Teenage Lifeguard Get Paid?
As a teenage lifeguard just getting started, you can expect to earn somewhere between $15-$20 per hour. The biggest issue with this type of work is that you will have to be good at swimming and you will be extremely relied on and stressed in the event that an emergency does occur. If someone does get into an accident, you will have to treat them, as you are the only one around that is certified to do it, and after all, that’s your job. Many people either don’t have the experience required, or just don’t want to be put into a situation with someone’s life on their hands. Because of this, there aren’t many people applying to become a lifeguard and you will have a higher pay and be able to find a job more easily. It’s also a really good experience to put on your resume. It shows how responsible you are, as so many people are trusting you with their lives, so if you do become a lifeguard, you will have no difficulty getting a job in the future.
How Can I Get Started as a Teenage Lifeguard?
- Make sure that you speak to your parent(s) before trying to become a teen lifeguard. Doing so we’ll ensure your safety and they’ll likely be able to help you in your efforts.
- Before you begin, you’ll need to get certifications that allow you to become a lifeguard. Since it is such an important job, your employer will want to see that you’re the real deal, and you can actually be a good lifeguard. I would recommend going to your local YMCA to get lifeguard courses, such as CPR and general swimming. These are extremely important to get, and you will not be able to become a lifeguard if you do not have these. Once you obtain these, you can move on to the next step.
- Prepare your body. Lifeguarding will follow to 10/20 rule which means that when a problem arises, they will have to act on it in 10 seconds and get to the victim in 20 seconds. This being said, you will have to be very fit to do this, and you should practice your swimming. Do exercises to strengthen your core especially, as this is needed to save the victim. If they are drowning, you will have to carry them to safety, so you definitely don’t want to be getting drowned by them.
- Next, find some local swimming pools. Most opportunities will come at your municipal pools, but there are also smaller private swimming pools that you can apply to also. Do a quick Google search and you should be able to find a lot. Another opportunity could be on Craigslist where you can find offerings to become a lifeguard. schools. A lot can be found in your city, as there are plenty of municipal swimming courses that you can apply to. Your city website should have a section where you can see employment opportunities and apply to them. If there are none, you can look to private swimming schools. Search for these with a Google search and try to find bigger, franchise ones like YMCA. You will have better odds when searching there.
- Once you’ve found a couple of swimming pools, apply. Lifeguards will need to be thoroughly examined by the company. Be polite and courteous during the interview, and don’t forget to show them your certifications. If you’ve been training a lot, tell them about it to show how dedicated to becoming a lifeguard you are.
- Congrats, you’re officially a teenage lifeguard. It may get boring at times, but it’s great experience to have. In the future, when you’re applying to another job, the company you are applying at will be impressed about how many people’s lives are relying on you and will definitely be more inclined to hire you.