How to Become a Teen Mascot
What Does a Teenage Mascot do?
As a teenage mascot, you’ll spend the majority of your time working on generating spirit and happiness for schools and sports teams. You will appear at sports games and local events to do this effectively. You will engage fans during the game and you should be an outgoing, extroverted person. Basically, you will be the person in those big fabric animals at fairs, amusement parks, or sports games. You’ll spend a lot of time engaging the audience and playing with them. It’s helpful to be really extroverted as you will spend a lot of your day taking pictures with people, and interacting with them. It’s also helpful to be relatively in shape as you will be wearing a heavy suit and standing for long portions of time.
How Much Does a Teenage Mascot Get Paid?
As a teenage mascot just getting started, you can expect to earn somewhere between $10-$15 per hour. The biggest issue with this type of work though is that you might have a hard time finding a job. The reason is because there are not many mascots needed. There is probably around 1 mascot per sports team, and even if multiple people are working part-time as that mascot, there will only be 3 positions up for grabs. Multiple by the number of sports teams in your area, and there aren’t that many. Not to mention that a lot of them are already filled. But if you do find a position and get a lot of experience as a mascot, there is great potential. You can get promoted to a major-sports league mascot, where you will earn quite a lot each year.
How Can I Get Started as a Teenage Mascot?
- Make sure that you speak to your parent(s) before trying to become a teen mascot. Doing so we’ll ensure your safety and they’ll likely be able to help you in your efforts.
- Before you begin, you’ll need to find the local sports teams around you. These don’t have to be major sports teams in national leagues, but you can also find college teams, high school teams, or minor league teams. This is a very crucial step because you need to find all of your local teams as there are not many out there. You can try using Wikipedia pages, and you have access to a sample one for Chicago, Illinois by clicking here. The Wikipedia page shows all the major and minor sports teams in Chicago, and the same can be done for your city.
- Now that you’ve got a list of the sports teams in your area, you have to apply. This can be done two ways. Either to contact them directly or look for a job offering. The job offering option would be recommended first, and if it doesn’t work, you can move on to the next step. You should look through the sports team’s website to find all the job postings. This will likely be at the bottom of the page with a hyperlink that is labelled “job opportunities” or “join our team.” Click on it, and see if there are any job offerings to become a mascot. If there are, apply to the job. Don’t forget to talk about all of the different skills you have that can apply to being a mascot. If you can’t find a job offering to become a mascot, move on the next step.
- Contact the company directly, asking if they have a mascot position available. Look for their email, most likely in a “contact us” section of the page. Send them a friendly email, asking if they needed anyone to be a mascot. If they reply and say yes, then send them an application, talking about all the skills, once again. If they don’t have a position available, don’t worry and move on to the next company.
- Congrats, you’re officially a teenage mascot. You will have tons of fun, playing and interacting with the audience, and it’s a great and impressive job to put on your future resume. Before you know it, you’ll earn a decent amount of money and you might even be promoted to a major sports league where you will have a very bright career ahead of you.