How to Become a Teenage Creative Writer
What Does a Teenage Creative Writer do?
A creative writer writes pieces of non-conventional pieces of writing. So, you will be responsible for researching background information for your pieces of writing, writing them, and then proofreading and editing them. To work online as a creative writer, you’ll most likely work on a freelancing website. You’ll work for companies that need writing for their websites, but don’t have enough people to make so many articles every day. Or, as a creative writer you’ll write for yourself using a blog or creating your own book. As a creative writer, you’ll be writing a lot, as the title suggests, so you want to have a good English background and be able to write well.
How Much Does a Teenage Creative Writer Get Paid?
As a creative writer freelancing online, you’ll most like you’ll most likely earn $5-$10 an hour. But online, there is a huge range of what you can get paid, and this mainly depends on the experience you have. The biggest issue with becoming a creative writer online is the amount of competition that you have. There are many writers out there online, and there won’t be as many jobs available. So, you’ll have to compete for the jobs, which can be hard if you don’t have as much experience as your peers. The easiest way to combat this is by making a complete profile and listing out all of your great experiences. This can be done if you follow the steps listed below.
How Can I Get Started as a Teenage Creative Writer?
- Before you begin, you’ll want to learn how to write creatively. Creative writing means to write non-conventional pieces of writing, these mostly are going to be fictional. You can write stories, magazines, or a lot of different types of writing. Since there are so many people competing for the position of a creative writer, you’ll want to make your writing as polished as possible to land more jobs. This being said, you’ll want to take high school electives or college courses in writing. If that isn’t your type of thing, more flexible online courses are available at Lynda.com. One of the courses you should search “Writing Fundamentals: The Craft of Story by Lisa Cron”. This teaches you how to write short stories, but a lot of the techniques can be applied to creative writing as well.
- Now that you’ve gotten a good amount of knowledge in the art of creative writing, you can create a portfolio of your writing. A portfolio allows for somewhere that you can showcase your writing, as a sampler for the writing you can provide. If you have previous writing pieces that you like, you can include them here. If you don’t have many pieces, you can do some writing right now. It can give you an opportunity to use your newly learned skills and you can make a portfolio. Then, write short descriptions of what you have included in your portfolio, and save the document. This will become extremely useful later.
- Once you’ve made a portfolio, you can now find and apply to a job online or try to write your own book. If you’re trying to get employed by others, the best platform to use for creative writing is on sites like Upwork. There are a lot of people in need of creative writing, but there will also be many people looking for a job in creative writing. This being said, it might be hard to land a job because you will have a lot of competition. So, find a job that suits you and pick carefully with all of the jobs available. Read the descriptions well to see if the timeframe and everything is right. Next, you’ll want to apply to the positions and land the job. If you don’t get the job the first couple of times, don’t get discouraged and just keep applying.
- Congrats, you’re officially a teenage creative writer. You’ve probably been through a lot of time trying land a job, but the hard part is done and the rest is going to be fairly simple. Just keep writing, and if you have trouble, persevere and go through it. You’re only going to get more and more experience, and the best creative writers will have a very successful freelancing career.
- Lynda.com: This platform will teach you the skills you need to become a creative writer.
Search for the course "Writing Fundamentals: The Craft of Story by Lisa Cron"
- Upwork.com: This will help you find new work when you're trained as an creative writer.
- Becoming an Author: If you're interested in writing your own books and want to creatively write for yourself, this post will help.