How to Become a Teenage 3D Modeler
What Does a Teenage 3D Modeler do?
As a 3D modeler, you’ll spend the majority of your time working on projects that require the computer skills to make objects appear in 3D. This type of technology is used in many different areas such as video games, websites, advertising, science, architects, engineers, and more. Basically, any type of 3D object or model you see in any capacity has somehow been worked on by a 3D modeler. You’ll spend a lot of time in front of the computer using various software products to make this happen. It’s helpful to have an artistic background if you go this route because you’ll need to visualize your creations prior to creating them on the computer.
How Much Does a Teenage 3D Modeler Get Paid?
As a 3D modeler just getting started, you can expect to earn somewhere between $10-$15 per hour. The biggest issue with this type of work though is that you might have a hard time finding a job. The reason is because usually middle schools and high school don’t have these types of programs in their curriculum and you’ll likely need industry contacts to find work. If you start now though and stick to it, you’ll likely earn over $100,000 per year once you’ve graduated college with a degree in this area.
How Can I Get Started as a Teenage 3D Modeler?
- Make sure that you speak to your parent(s) before trying to become a teen 3D modeler. They absolutely must know about your plans and will likely be able to help you in your efforts.
- Before you begin, you’ll need to determine what 3D modeling software you’d like to use. Most professionals use 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4D, and Maya. The costs of these programs are very expensive ($300 per month) but the good news is that the company who has created the software will give access to it for free for the first three years as a student. You can get that deal by clicking here. From what we’ve seen, it’s not uncommon for middle schools and/or high schools to have these programs available to students as well.
- Now that you’ve got access to the 3D Studio Max software, you need proper training. If you’re in middle school or high school it’s best to see if there is a course that trains with this software. But beyond that, further training is available. You can get more training in a number of ways, but we recommend that you join Lynda.com. They offer a free 10-day trial and you should get your parent’s permission before you start.
- Once you’ve joined Lynda.com, we recommend you view the course 3ds Max 2019 Essential Training by Aaron F. Ross to get started. In this course, you’ll get a great introduction to 3D Studio Max and you can learn more with other courses or through YouTube.
- We suggest that at this time you spend weeks, if not months, playing with the software. Try to watch YouTube tutorials and other courses to understand what the software is capable of.
- Once you’ve trained yourself, it’s time to start looking into part-time work. This will be pretty difficult as 3D modeling experts usually work at specific companies, so finding freelance work can be a challenge. If you are taking courses in school that teach this sort of thing, it’s a good idea to speak to the teacher and see if they can help in any way with industry contacts. If that isn’t an option, you can also use Upwork.com to find jobs.
- Congrats, you’re officially a teenage 3D modeler. It will take a good amount of time to really master 3D Studio max, but if you are able to do so and stick to this as a career path, you’ll make significant income in the future, likely over $100,000. This is a very specialized skill and those that are good at it can have a great career.
- Lynda.com: This platform will teach you the skills you need to become a teen 3D Modeler.
3DS Max 2019 Essential Training by Aaron F. Ross
- 3D Studio Max Software: This is the software required to do this type of job. It is available in some schools and you can also get a free educational version.
- Upwork.com: This will help you find new work when you're trained as a 3D Modeler.