How to Become a Teenage AutoCAD Drafter
What Does a Teenage AutoCAD Drafter do?
As an AutoCAD drafter your job really depends on where your interests are. AutoCAD is used in numerous industries, most of which you probably don’t even realize such as architects, interior designers, and engineers. In this type of job, you need to make drawings or concepts come to life on the computer screen. This includes figuring out the exact measurements for buildings or objects and also rendering those objects into 3D models.
How Much Does a Teenage AutoCAD Drafter Get Paid?
As a teenage AutoCAD drafter, you’ll make much more than most of your friends do. Even as an entry level drafter, it’s not uncommon to make $15-$18 per hour working part-time. The issue here is that you will be rather inexperienced compared to other specialists in the field, but even having a basic understanding and access to AutoCAD can make you quite a bit of money.
How Can I Get Started as a Teenage AutoCAD Drafter?
- Make sure that you speak to your parent(s) before trying to become a teen AutoCAD Drafter. They absolutely must know about your plans and will likely be able to help you in your efforts.
- The first thing you’ll have to get before starting this type of work is access to the AutoCAD program. The program itself can be incredibly expensive ($300 per month) but the good news is that the company who has created the software will give access to it for free for the first three years. You can get that deal by clicking here. From what we’ve seen, it’s not uncommon for middle schools and/or high schools to have these programs available to students as well.
- Now that you’ve got access to the software, you need proper training. If your middle school or high school offers any architecture, engineer, or interior design courses we recommend that you enroll in them. But beyond that, further training is necessary to make this into a job. You can get more training in a number of ways, but we recommend that you join Lynda.com. They offer a free 10-day trial and you should get your parent’s permission before you start.
- Once you’ve joined Lynda.com, we recommend you to search the course “AutoCAD Essential Training by Shaun Bryant” to get it. In this course, you’ll learn all of the basics of the program and it’ll help you understand all of its capabilities.
- Once you’ve trained yourself, it’s time to start looking into part-time work. truth be told, the absolute best place that you can look first is at your school if they have given you access to AutoCAD. Usually the teachers have industry contacts and if you’re good at what you do, they may refer you to people who need some help. Beyond that, you can also use Upwork.com to find jobs as well.
- Congrats! You’re officially an AutoCAD drafter and to be honest, you’re well on your way to a great career path if you stay on this path. Architects and engineers are some of the highest paid people on the planet and it typically starts with an interest in learning AutoCAD.
- Lynda.com: This platform will teach you the skills you need to become a teen AutoCAD drafter.
Search "AutoCAD Essential Training by Shaun Bryant" and choose the most recent course.
- AutoCAD Software: This is the software required to do this type of job. It is available in some schools and you can also get a free educational version.
- Upwork.com: This will help you find new work when you're trained as a AutoCAD drafter.