How to Become a Teenage Internet Researcher
What Does a Teenage Internet Researcher do?
An internet researcher is someone who works for someone else to find information they need on the internet. The internet is a large place, and sometimes, someone busy might need information from it, but doesn’t want to spend their time researching. And that’s where you come in, to do their research for them for a fee.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to, searching the internet via search engines, documenting information, checking the accuracy of the data, and keeping updated on the latest tools and techniques to optimize your research abilities. This might seem like a lot of responsibilities, but to simplify everything all that you’re really doing is finding information online and writing it down. As an internet researcher, you’ll spend a lot of time working online and with computers, so it’s good be tech-savvy and to have some general knowledge of how to use search engines to find information quickly.
How Much Does a Teenage Internet Researcher Get Paid?
As a teenage internet researcher, you can expect to make around $8-$12 per hour. The biggest issue with this type of work is that there is limited work available. You’re most likely going to be a freelancer, as that is the easiest way to find a job as an internet research.
This being said, you’ll be your own boss and you’ll have a lot of flexibility choosing your work hours, but you cannot get promoted and there is never a guarantee that you’ll have work at all. But this problem can be easily solved, as being an internet researcher is a gateway job to other jobs. This means that the experience gained from this position will help you find even better jobs in the future.
How Can I Get Started as a Teenage Internet Researcher?
- First, you’ll need to educate yourself on how to be an internet researcher. You’ll want to improve your research skills so you can provide the best experience for your client, and it will also improve your efficiency, which will lead to a higher salary. There aren’t courses in high school that you can take on this topic, but there are many more options. One of your options is to read Start & Run an Internet Research Business by Gerhard W. Kautz. It is an excellent book that can give you a great insight on how to research. It is $7.41 on Kindle, but don’t be discouraged by the expense. It is a small investment that will earn your money back quickly.
- Next, you’ll want to set up your profile on freelancing websites. A great profile is extremely important to landing a job online. People will look to your profile first when you submit an application, so you’ll need to set a wonderful first impression. The website we recommend for this is called Upwork, though you could also look into Mechanical Turk by Amazon as well. You can use this guide for Creating a Great Upwork Profile to make a wonderful profile.
- Once you’ve made a good profile, you want to find your clients. On freelancing sites, there will typically be listings for jobs and positions. There should also be a search engine to find these listings. Enter internet research into the search engine, and you’ll start to find jobs in no time. After you’ve found a couple of these jobs, apply to them. Follow all their instructions and read their job listing description carefully. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t land your first few, keep on trying.
The key to landing your first jobs on freelancing website like this is to charge very little to the clients ($5/hour is a good starting point) and complete 5-10 successful jobs. Once you’ve completed those jobs and gotten positive feedback, increase your hourly fee to $8 an hour and then apply to more jobs. As you get more experienced, you can increase your hourly rate.
- Congrats, you’re officially a teenage internet researcher. You might not be able to get a raise soon, but it will be great experience for the future. You can put this experience in your resume and future employers will be extremely impressed. But if you get caught up in a difficult time being an internet researcher, don’t give up. Those who stick with it will be very successful in the future.
- Start and Run an Internet Research Business Text: This is a book that will walk you through the process of creating your own internet research business.
- Upwork.com: This will help you find new work online when you're trained as an internet researcher.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk: This is a platform that will help you find additional work as a internet researcher.
- Creating a Great Upwork Profile: This is a good article to check out before you create your profile on Upwork.com.